Tuesday, March 6, 2012

corn ... winter style

tonight was a throw back to the rustic, to the summer, and to a hearty winter meal.



by this, I mean, POLENTA. my friends, POLENTA. i hate to say this but the part you can't really see in that pic on the left, is the word "grits." EECK! I feel so southern .... ahh hem, i mean, southern italian! prego!

polenta points (winter form of corn)
POLENTA! ever have it? you should try it, it is home-chef-friendly but of course having CHEF make it for you, is pretty darn nice. so Chef used this mix, the Bob's Red Mill. he actually made it yesterday, stowed it in the fridge, then cut triangles today and put it in the cast iron pan on some hot, hot oil. a crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside triangle of corny, corn-like goodness ... POLENTA!! From the freezer, Chef pulled out some of our foraged hen of the woods  mushrooms from "the season" and warmed those puppies up in a saute pan with, what else (?), cream. (we have been on a genuine dairy binge lately).

yea, so that was dinner and then we ran after the bus to attend a restaurant re-opening party and ate again, but mostly schmoosed. yes, me. Ok not really me, mostly just Chef ... open bar and all.

2 comments:

  1. Hey radish! I made polenta last night and had the leftovers for lunch today...and shared with a polenta virgin! She loved it! She is lebonese, she said they eat something similar, I forget, starts with an f

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cook - keep the word of polenta alive! Does your friend use cumin in her cooking? Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete